One of my favorite things: Tulane Not Playing at Army - yay! While we still have this wretched team on the schedule (why? why? why?!), hopefully we can finally fling them sometime soon. Temple, Penn State, Maryland, UConn ... anyone?
One of my guilty pleasures this past summer was The Bachelorette (Frank was such a fraud!) and Bethenny's Getting Married. I totally heart Bethenny Frankel and her sassiness! Mrs. Hullabaloo and Mrs. Frankel-Hoppy SO would have been friends had she been a Newcomb Girl in the early 90's.
As any good Newcomb Girl does, I heart New York! Being from New York or loving New York is an absolute prerequisite of being affiliated with Tulane. We are so lucky to be an outpost enclave of The City at Tulane. It's reason #210 why Tulane is the best school EVAH!
So Bethenny's wedding planner, the infinitely patient, Shawn Rabideau, posted a list of his favorite things to do in New York and I am so excited to try some of these on his list for Tulane's away game at Rutgers next weekend this football season.
I always do "my" favorite things to do when I go to NYC (The Strand, Century 21, H&M, Pearl River Market and Zara's), so I was happy to read Shawn's recommend list and be inspired to get out of my comfort zone and try new things. Such as creating the gumbo-like Matzo Ball Soup at Stein's Deli on Magazine (another one of my favorite things about Tulane and New Orleans)
So here, Tulane fans traveling to Rutgers, are some of Shawn's Favorite Spots in The City in no particular order:
1. Ardesia Wine Bar - Can't get enough of this Hell's Kitchen wine bar! Great wine, great food and happy hour from 5pm to 7pm Mon-Fri!
2. Favorite Burger - "5 Napkin Burger" Too many good things to list, but you MUST try their sushi…yes, they serve that too!
3. Limelight Marketplace – it’s just cute! (Exclamtion Point! Mrs. Hullabaloo is ALL over this shopping suggestion. STAT!)
4. Who doesn’t love pizza? Run to one of Shawn's all time favorite spots Johns Pizzeria. It’s a great Times Square spot that offers a quality meal for a quality price. Perfect for before or after the theater. (Speaking of Pizza, Mo's Pizza in Marrero displays a signed Patrick Ramsey helmet as that was his favorite pizza joint in Nola.)
5. Shawn's favorite Meatpacking District eats – Son Cubano and Fig & Olive. To die for! (Mr. and Mrs. Hullabaloo always do the same old, same old in the Meatpacking District: One. and we are ashamed to admit we have never, ever been to the One right here in Riverbend in New Orleans.)
6. One of Shawn's all time favorite Italian restaurants, Il Vagabondo is a hidden gem on the east side. Directly out of “The Godfather” with a full Bocce Court, this place has the most amazing lasagna you’ve ever tasted!
8. If you like paper and stationery run to Paper Presentations. It’s like the Baskin Robbins of Stationery! (Did someone say Stationery?)
9. If you like Red Velvet Cake and fresh baked bread like I do, Shawn recommends any of Amy’s Bread locations throughout the city. They have the best fresh baked goods you’ve ever tasted. Perfect for the holidays! Get your order in early because the good stuff goes fast! (No holiday needed for Red Velvet Cake!)
10. Like cupcakes…Forget about waiting in line at some of the Cupcake Stop locations, you can shop online CupCakeStop.com and ship some of their amazing flavors such as French Toast with Maple Syrup and bacon…AMAZING!
11. Looking to have a cocktail with an amazing view? Go to the Mandarin Oriental Lobby Lounge. Fantastic drinks with a fantastic view of Central Park. Perfect anytime of the year! (Coach and Mrs. Hullabaloo are big fans of Mandarin Oriental and their impeccable service)
12. Who knew you could have cocktails in the library? Well you can at the Hudson Hotel's Library Bar. The perfect atmosphere after work or before hitting the town!
13. Like chocolate? Run to La Masion du Chocolat. They have the MOST exquisite chocolates Shawn has ever tasted in the city!
14. Although it’s name doesn’t do it justice, the Frying Pan located off of 26th Street and the West Side Highway is a “hot spot” of sorts. An old light ship (now converted to a bar) that is on the registrar of historic places, is something fun and out of the ordinary.
So Tulane Fans, let's do something out of the ordinary and bring us back a win!