This is primarily a Tulane football blog, although I do occasionally comment on all matters Tulane that may or may not be any of my business. I love following Tulane Greenwave football, zing-zang Bloody Marys, hostessing cute tailgating parties, and life in New Orleans. It's fabulous. oh and I adore Mr. Hullabaloo. PS This blog is not affiliated in any way "officially" with Tulane University or Tulane Athletics. It is purely the crazy antics and obsessions of Mr. and Mrs. Hullabaloo who love them some greenwave (I say tee-ay (!) y'all).

Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Tailgating Divas

I don't know what I would do without this pair of gals ~


Priscilla and Peggy are the most awesomest Tailgating Hostesses. Their recipes are truly "the best." Most gameday fanatics will do 6 or 7 tailgates a season. I do atleast 15 for football season alone.

I've learned a lot about proper hostessing from my tailgating divas: make it easy, but always try to use fresh ingredients. The most important lesson they've imparted: the earlier you start preparing dishes vastly improves the quotient ratio of enjoyment+fun V. spousal arguments+aggravation. Honey, this is so true.

Definitively, there's no "walking taco" at our tailgates. (quelle gauche, non?). The Hullabaloo Huddle zone is unequivocably not of the human garbage disposal tailgating variety.

I've shared a few of Priscilla's recipes, here and here. She even makes her own pickles! Priscilla inspired me to make my own pickles, using Tyler Florence's ultimate B&B recipe. Tyler, a true man of the South, is my kitchen hero.


Chef Tyler's Ultimate Sloppy Joe recipe with Goat Cheese Butternut Squash Slaw is SO easy and saves you from Manwich cans. I serve the butternut squash slaw at Mardi Gras and whenever I get a chance at home. If Coach Hullabaloo would allow it, I would paste a photo of Chef Ty lovingly on my fridge so that he could look over my tailgate preparations and offer reassurance and his blessings.

mrs. hullabaloo's version of
TYLER'S CHEVRE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SLAW
4 ounces fresh creamy goat cheese, room temperature
1 medium butternut squash
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
2 stalks green onion (my addition as I love onion)

While you sip a cocktial, sweetly ask your husband to peel the squash with a vegetable peeler. Seriously, that is a hard task! So once it's clean, chop up the tip into big manageable hunks. save the bulb for something else. Grate the squash into shreds or if you have a mandolin, use that to make strips of the squash. Put into a bowl with your craberries, walnuts, green onions and parsley. Whip the wet ingredients into a smooth gravy. s+p to taste. Sneak a taste of this irresitable dressing, nobody will notice. Pour over the veggies and toss together. awesome! It's fabulous as a burger or sloppy joe topper. I promise.

So Peggy has a chicken salad that is like OMG fantabulous and Tyler Florence-worthy. We shall be enjoying it for the Sept 11 gameday.


PEGGY'S SONOMA CHICKEN SALAD
3 chicken breasts
dash of cajun seasoning
salt and pepper
quarter onion and clove of garlic
water
3 ribs celery, chopped
bunch of red unseeded grapes, chop in halves
6 stalks green onion, chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 womps of mayonaise
mini croissants

Season chicken with s+p and cajun seasoning. Put in a saucepan with onion and garlic and then cover with water. Cover. Bring to boil and then lower to medium and let poach for about 20 mins. Prick the meat to check to see if juices are running clear. Remove and let cool (toss the onion and garlic, but keep that broth for something else. like BBQ shrimp). Shred chicken up. mix up with the rest of the veggies and adjust s+p to your liking. Lovingly scoop onto les croissants.

Bon Appetit Mes Petites Choux!

No comments:

Post a Comment