This is primarily a Tulane football blog, although I do occasionally comment on all matters Tulane that may or may not be any of my business. I love following Tulane Greenwave football, zing-zang Bloody Marys, hostessing cute tailgating parties, and life in New Orleans. It's fabulous. oh and I adore Mr. Hullabaloo. PS This blog is not affiliated in any way "officially" with Tulane University or Tulane Athletics. It is purely the crazy antics and obsessions of Mr. and Mrs. Hullabaloo who love them some greenwave (I say tee-ay (!) y'all).

Monday, September 3, 2012

Finding My Zen as a Greenie Dat

Ok, I’ve had 48 hours to digest. Hurricane Mrs. Hullabaloo, has calmed down now.  Coach Hullabaloo thinks that the pictures on my banner are too old, and are therefor to blame for our demise on Saturday.  So my project this week will be to tend to some housecleaning of the banners and hopefully continue to get my mind off of Saturday's game.

So yes, I'm simmering down some.  Just in time to faintly start thinking about sigh, our upcoming game against the Aslut Hurricanes. Which in other Ex-Cusa news: Houston fired their O.C. after one game. Harsh. Of course, he was the O.C. from the school that beat them.

I found the news hilariously funny and then, once I thought about it, mildly troubling. Considering that we have both UTEP and Memphis on our schedule this season, with their former O.C. now our O.C. ...oh pressure, the pressure!

......Lawd, I really just can’t think about that now.....(no, I am not advocating such precipitous steps at our program, I'm just apprehensive about our spread offense opponents down the stretch)

Anyways, in an effort to find inner peace and zen out a little, I gots recipes and cute pictures to share from our Jersey inspired tailgate par-tay. Of course, I am still kicking myself today that I did not steal a snapshot of Angel Johnson, Coach CJ’s wife, at the game. But GIRL!  Let me tell you that I have the biggest crush on her.

Isn’t this picture just the cutest?! Totally Mrs. Hullabaloo approved!


Angel Johnson has the. most. fabulicious. Olive and Blue wardrobe and the most fierce sense of style, period. I sooo wanted to take her picture when I ran into her at the game on Saturday, but I didn’t want to appear to be a complete creepy weirdo SuperFan. So instead I’ll just write about it on my blog here.

She was wearing these boots, with an adorable green pants suit and the most adorable bedazzled v-neck babydoll teeshirt that one of the other coaches’ wives made. I roll my eye at this, because WHY DOES THE TEAM SHOP INSIST ON HAVING MEN SELECT MERCHANDISE FOR THE LADIES?! We want cute things, there’s a market for it, “Shrink it and Pink it” sucks. The result is that we are ALL guilty of licensing restrictions, even the staff. We have to resort to making our own cute things. So get with the program, puh-leeze. Thank you. That is all....

Anyways, Angel had the fiercest make-up job on top of her awesomely styled outfit.  Green eyeshadow! Oh, how I loved it loved it!

So at tailgating, I didn’t let Hurricane Isaac put too much of a damper on things than it had already. Lawd, we had tailgating krewe members resort to cooking their dish entirely over open flame for lack of power to their houses!  I was able to manage plucking a few items out of the complete darkness and unbearable heat that was my powerless storage area, in order to somewhat manage to put together a semblance of a proper tailgating spread.


Poor sweet Priscilla, who still has no power at home, made the roastbeef for our cheesesteak sandwiches using only her grill in her yard.  She is such a fabulous cook that it turned out spectacular.

PRISCILLA’S PERFECTION ROAST BEEF
A rump roast
Dry rub: tony chachere's, rock salt (must use rock salt, it makes for a good crust) and cracked black pepper. I'd say about a palmful each
A whole onion roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
About a ladleful or so of chicken broth

Pat yer roast down with paper towels and then rub it down real good with the dry rub. Take a dutch oven and brown it real good all the way around on all sides. When all sides of the rump's properly browned, put a little bit of chicken stock in the pan. Enough to deglaze the crunchy cooked bits (I’m guessing about three quarters of a cup. We don't want stew here), toss in the onion and the garlic, cover it and then either put it on bbq pit or in an oven at 350° for 3-4 hrs until well done.

We served the roast beef with jus on a french roll with provolone and sauteed onions and green peppers and oh sweet baby Jesus was it good. (Priscilla is suggesting we do a for real cook book, what do you think?)

For desserts, FF’s wife, Red, made a beautiful Amaretto Cheesecake (thanks Red!) and Ta’Molly’s husband brought us Canollis. Nell brought this delicious and adorable individualized cobblers for dessert. It was so good, and so cute!


Not sure if you can tell from the picture, she had sprinkled it adorably with green and blue colored sugar!

NELL'S CUTEST APPLE COBBLER
One box yellow cake mix (Nell used Betty Crocker)
2 cans of Comstock brand Apple Pie Filling*
2 sticks of butter sliced in tabs
Toasted pecans, chopped
Brown sugar
Spirit colored sugar

Preheat your oven to 350°. Combine cake mix, filling and slices of butter and pour into a greased baking pan. Bake for a total of 25 minutes, but 20 minutes in you’ll need to add the pecans.  So while you’re waiting the 20 minutes, toast your pecans either in a skillet on the stove, or on a pan in the oven.  Keep an eye on them, as soon as you can start smelling the pecans, shut off the heat pronto so you don’t burn the nuts. Add a smidge of butter to the hot pecans and coat them by sprinkling with a handful of brown sugar. Let the pecans cool a little to chop, and then toss over the cobbler in the oven. Finish cooking the cobbler for another 5 minutes until thoroughly cooked through.  Let cool, and then spoon a batch into clear acrylics rocks size glasses.  Sprinkle the top with colored sugar, and then top with color coordinated spoon. 

*One of the neatest things about this super easy recipe is that you can swap out the filling!  You can use blueberry filling, cherry filling - whatever!  and perusing the Comstock website, I came across this: Blueberry Barbecue Sauce!  How perfect for the Tulane game against ECU to go with our cochon du lait!?! Oh yeah, y'all!
 
The piece de resistance was Preacherman, who provided these meatballs that were truly delicious. I googled this same recipe shared by several bloggers. So if you claim ownership of this recipe, besides giving you a tiara, I will give you proper credit for birthing such awesomeness.

PREACHERMAN’S TAILGATE MEATBALLS
Pound of mild pork sausage
Pound of ground beef
halfa cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
cuppa milk
cuppa finely diced sweet onion
halfa cuppa finely diced sweet onion (chop up super small,ya heard)
saltnpeppa
pretzel sticks to use as toothpicks
P.S. you might want to make extra, because you WILL snag some to nibble on.

Preheat oven to 375°. Mush meats with the rest of the ingredients and shape into balls about the width of a businesscard. Line em up with some breathing space between them on a lightly greased pan cookie sheet or baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes while you check your facebook. Or you can be more productive and make the sauce below.  Turn the meatballs to cook on the other side, for another 15 minutes.

GRAVY SAUCE OF MAGNIFICENCE
halfa cuppa apple jelly
halfa cuppa creole mustard
halfa cuppa whiskey
healthy dash of Worcestershire sauce and another healthy dash of Tabasco (ooooh yeah!)

Dump all these ingredients into a large flat skillet pan and stir to combine over medium heat. Heat ingredients through on a simmer for one minute, don't like boil and carmelize. Add your cooked meatballs and let everything cook for 5 more minutes, stirring to make sure they all get coated appropriately. Just give into the urge to eat a couple of meatballs.  That's what the extra is for! Refrigerate yer heavenly meatballs overnight. At tailgating, reheat with a chaffing dish or put in a foil pan on the grill for about 5 or 10 minutes.
 
After much heartache, thoughtful prayer and meditation, Coach and Mrs. Hullabaloo have decided to stay put and party with our Greenie Dats in New Orleans. Gather at some watering hole where I won't upset neighbors with my commentary during the game.  I’ll use the bye weekend to finish up some loose ends I have for our brunch tailgating for the Tulane v. Ole Miss game. So it won’t be entirely tragic that I miss out on paying a visit in Aslut. Although I will totally miss shopping up at one ofmy favorite haunts.

Au revoir mon petit choux! Bonne Chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment