This is primarily a Tulane football blog, although I do occasionally comment on all matters Tulane that may or may not be any of my business. I love following Tulane Greenwave football, zing-zang Bloody Marys, hostessing cute tailgating parties, and life in New Orleans. It's fabulous. oh and I adore Mr. Hullabaloo. PS This blog is not affiliated in any way "officially" with Tulane University or Tulane Athletics. It is purely the crazy antics and obsessions of Mr. and Mrs. Hullabaloo who love them some greenwave (I say tee-ay (!) y'all).

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tablescaping for Football Season



I would love to post more pictures from our tea to show you all the fabulous tablescaping we did, but I am waiting for the Tulane photographer to finally release all of the images. So in the meatime I'll post some pictures of cute things I have been inspired by this pre-season. This cookie bouquet featured here, was lovingly commissioned and purchased by Preacherman's wife for our tea.  All the TU sports are represented, it was the cutest thing.

Great News! Coach Hullabaloo and I FINALLY got our season tickets.
 

Better late than never ya know.  It's not like Tulane Football season could like actually begin without us.

Of course, nothing can ever happen in my life without an appropriate dose of drama.  And yes, it took a childsized temper tantrum from me to get what I wanted, ha!  I wonder if I should go park myself in a certain office at Gibson Hall and have another throwdown tantrum and see what happens? 

My friend, whom I'll refer to as Ace's Mom, is involved with another very lovely organization at Tulane that has to have their guest lists reviewed by Gibson Hall.  Of course, their events are held at the exquisite Zemurray Mansion in the gated Audubon Place donated to Tulane for the use by the president of our fine institution. So you don't want unsavory elements being given open access to the most prestigious addresses in all of New Orleans.  But I wonder if Gibson Hall actually knows who I am and that I spout off on this blog the way I do.  Cause when I found out that their guest lists were reviewed, I was amazed I was ever let in over there!  Me, who called out Schott Cowen for attempting to feed us fuzzy math at the Newcomb Alumnae Board meeting in January 2006. (yes indeed, and he even asked me if I was insinuating that he was a liar. well, yeah, I was. but whatever, we're finally getting an OCS so I'm over it.)

Anyways, back to my story: what happened was that we, Coach and Mrs. Hullabaloo, received this in the mail initially.


!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can imagine my reaction.  Here I had been watching all my twitter and facebook friends post lovely pictures of their season tickets full of envy that they got theirs first.  I'd run home every afternoon to check our mail only to be disappointed and wonder where the hell mine were and what was taking so dern long.  Then I get a text from Coach Hullabaloo with the picture of the plain tickets.  Son of a Biscut(!) did I fly off the handle.

So Coach and I both whined like whiny babies to Justin at the ticket office and after at first offering a consolation pair of the pretty season ticketholder sheets, but blank, he changed his mind and offered to reprint ours from scratch. I would think so, ya know.  Don't want me bitching about the egregiousness of this situation on my blog or something.

So y'all - 12 days and counting!  Tulane Tailgating season begins!! Hoo-ray Hoo-ray Varsa Varsa tee-ay!

And y'all, Nell found these perfect TU inspired plates at Sam's!


Listen, men have their fantasy football leagues and whatnot and we women fans worry about the tailgating nest looking fabulous. Because men think that parties just spontaneously happen because thinking about and planning details makes their brains hurt.  But honestly, I just can not understand those random women who find football season annoying or who don't understand what is going on in the game.  What is wrong with your DNA woman?!! 4 chances to complete 10 yards! Air game or Ground Game! First Down means you Move the Chains! So with that I bring you some of my offseason inspiration. and some delicious recipes that I can't wait to have.

Cuteness from an Ole Miss function attended by my adorable friend Miss Glitter, which served as inspiration for our football tea.


Which speaking of Ole Miss, I have quite the quandry: traditional banana pudding which is always delicious or Nutter Butter banana pudding? Lawd have mercy, how genius was this idea?!

NUTTER BUTTER BANANA PUDDING
straight from Southern Living

3 cups milk
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 medium-size ripe bananas
1 (1-lb.) package of nutter butters or peanut butter sandwich cookies
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
Garnishes: crumbled nutter butters, dried banana chips, fresh mint sprigs, caramel

Whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar and flour in a large saucepan on the stove to make pudding. Med-low heat.  We don't want burnt pudding now. Whisk that sucker for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted and combined.  Put the saucepan on ice to cool.  Pay attention to it every once in a while and stir it until the pudding is chilled throughout.

Take your serving dish and make alternate layers of pudding, bananas, nutter butters with the final layer being pudding. And then top this mound of magnificence with whipped cream. Possibly drizzle with caramel if you want to really sprout some horns.  Before serving sprinkle the top with crumbled nutter butters, dried banana chips and fresh mint sprigs.

At homecoming last year, Preacherman brought the most awesome banana pudding in the history of the world.  It was sooo good y'all I wanted to scream.  Here's the recipe:

PREACHERMAN'S NANER PUDDING

30 Vanilla Wafers
3 Ripe Bananas
Vanilla Pudding (below)
Whipped Cream (below)

Alternate layers of pudding like making a pudding lasagne.

Vanilla Puddding ingredients
1/3 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn starch and salt. Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Add vanilla and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.

Whipped Cream ingredients
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract  (knowing Booty Judy, she might suggest spiking this with banana liqueur! hmmmm....not a bad idea.... )

Chill a small mixing bowl and your mixing beaters by putting them in the fridge till cold. and y'all this was no average banana pudding, so you must follow every step of this copiously. With your chilled beaters and bowl, beat the whipping cream until it just begins to thicken slightly.  Don't mix too much because it will turn to butter as has happened to me on many ocassions. Fold in confectioners' sugar and vanilla; Mix until soft peaks form.

Another cute tablescape from the Fresh Chicks Design blog....


So how cute is this superbowl placesetting and tablescape from Denise over at So Many Tables?



She's got some other major cuteness there too, so I added her to my blog roll.  I will totally need to give her honorary Southern-ness for her clever and adorable themed tablescaping.

Also, just LOVED, loved this place setting from A Big Story blog.  Seriously, why can't I find some of these cute things at the dollar store when I go?




BROCCOLI AND GRAPE PASTA SALAD for the ECU game
adjusted from Southern Living

1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
half of a 16oz  package bowtie pasta
1 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup mayonnaise
third cuppa sugar
third cuppa diced red onion
third cuppa red wine vinegar
salt n peppa
2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
8 cooked turkey bacon slices, crumbled
maybe some chopped green onions and some shredded carrot if you want
perhaps some crumbled blue cheese might be fun here too

Toast your pecans using the method of your preference (oven or stove).  Keep an eye on them, or you can run the risk of burning them like I have been known to do.

This nex step is also real hard: prepare pasta according to package directions.  While your pasta's a'boilin, chop up your broccoli, separating the florets from the stems.  chop up the stems as finely as you can, and chop the florets into small pieces too. Or if you are lazy and impatient like I am - toss the broccoli into a food processor and be done with it.

Next up, whisk together the mayo, sugar, vinegar, salt n peppa.  If you are super pressed for time or just want to do a semi-home made thing, I think you could probably use poppy seed dressing or marzetti's coleslaw dressing just the same.  Add broccoli, hot cooked pasta, and grapes, and stir with dressing to coat. Cover and chill, about 3 hours. Add crumbled bacon and pecans just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment