This is primarily a Tulane football blog, although I do occasionally comment on all matters Tulane that may or may not be any of my business. I love following Tulane Greenwave football, zing-zang Bloody Marys, hostessing cute tailgating parties, and life in New Orleans. It's fabulous. oh and I adore Mr. Hullabaloo. PS This blog is not affiliated in any way "officially" with Tulane University or Tulane Athletics. It is purely the crazy antics and obsessions of Mr. and Mrs. Hullabaloo who love them some greenwave (I say tee-ay (!) y'all).

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Inspired by Brunch Tailgating

Yes! ..... when God closes one door, it's because there's another door, full of wonderful surprises, that's ready to be opened for you.  Although, we, in the Greenie Dat Nation, have been waiting patiently about what that means as far as the actual Gridiron, but in the meantime, with respect to tailgating: Mrs. Hullabaloo is in a much more exciting place!

I hereby begrudgingly admit that these red eye football games that Tulane will be playing in the fall in front of a Ukranian Television Audience have actually been an inspiration.

Indeed.

I feel like Matt Weiner (creator of my other obsession, Mad Men), in that I awake suddenly in the middle of the night with a gasp in order to jot down my latest tailgating menu brain storm:  Chicken and Waffles!!!



How could I have overlooked such an idea!?!  My tailgatress soul sister, Anna from South Carolina got on that idea for their game against Auburn.  Doesn't Anna sound like a Kindred Spirit?  I love her intros, wanting to punch holes dry wall and call to the heavens, "Why!? Why!? Why!?" - wanting a win so bad she can taste it, but then taking a cleansing bath, dreaming up recipes for next week's tailgate and soldiering on.  I love her!

I also found this simpler Mancave-y version of serving up Chicken n Waffles at your tailgate...Not quite "walking tacos" (guh-ross!), but quite efficient.




Of course Mrs. Hullabaloo will jazz up our waffles a bit other than going the Eggo route. So while we'll most definitely pre-order chicken strips from the awesome downtown Rouse's on Baronne - I will probably make some cornbread-ish inspired waffles to heat up on the grill. And possibly top with green onions and pralines or something.  Also, I need to figure out how to get my hands on the waffle maker in Bruff that allegedly makes waffles with the Meanie Greenie on them.  How cuuuuute would that be?!

Genius, right!  So I've updated our Revised 2012 Tailgate Menu to include Chicken 'n Waffles, Hashbrown Casserole, with Booty's Berries 'n Cream and Sweet potato pie.  I think the chicken 'n waffles will be awe-some with some sausage gravy or pepper jelly syrup and some kind of pecan, praline inspired topping.  Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait!

and then while I was perusing chicken 'n waffle recipes, I ran across this!  Squeal!!!




HOT REUBEN DIP
  • 1/2 cup cooked corned beef diced or shredded
  • 1/4 cup sauerkraut, drained and dry
  • 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 4 ounces (half a pack) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup Russian dressing*
Ok, are you ready for these instructions?  It's so hard.  Preheat the oven to 350.  Toss all the ingredients in a baking dish or foil pan. If you can handle it, mix em around a bit.  Bake in an oven for about 20 minutes until bubbly and the top is golden brown.

*Now the complicated thing about this recipe is the Russian Dressing bit.  True Russian Dressing is vinegary based and made with beet juice.  The reuben version of "Russian Dressing" means the mayo-ketchup variety.  The easiest version I found to whip up is Heinz Chili Sauce, Mayo, Horseradish, minced onion.  Almost like a new orleans remoulade kinda, but sweet.

The reason I am so excited about this discovery is that back when our Rutgers game was announced, I was completely torn, as an obsessed hostess is (Anna from South Carolina would understand!), about all of the fabulous New Jersey inspired menu options that could be served.  My very first thought was REUBENS!

Mrs. Hullabaloo had a wonderful friend from my junior semester abroad in college, who was from an adorable hamlet in New Jersey.  Ironically, while I was a very enthusiastic and social Tulane co-ed, I was a bit cloistered amongst a very Southern Newcomb crowd, so I didn't much venture too much into Northern food except for discovering Matzoh Ball soup, Bagels and Knishes from this little deli that used to be on Carrollton.  The farthest North I ever even ventured in the dating world at Tulane was a boy from St. Louis.  Anyways, when Daddy asked what I wanted as a graduation gift, I immediately told him I wanted to take a road trip to New York and visit my New Jersey friend.  I'd never been past Virginia before then!

The two genius things my New Jersey friend did was to introduce me to Ice Hockey and NJ Sloppy Joes, which are turkey meat and coleslaw versions of Ruebens. and from there it sparked an obsession with "true" deli sandwiches.  Stein's Deli on Magazine makes turkey version of Ruebens and calls em Rachels.  When Graff hosts radio shows from Tracey's on Magazine, their cooks will make turkey reubens for me without looking at me sideways, ha!  However you wanna free-style em, I love, love, love them: Grilled up some juicy deli meat, add sauerkraut, melted swiss and russian or thousand island dressing.  and Rye bread to hold and soak up all the juicy delicousness. Awesome!

But the downer is how do you keep tailgate-served Reubens from getting all soggy if you do a make-ahead batch? Or do I chain Coach Hullabaloo to the grill as a short order cook to make em "to order"? 

Here, the awesome Anna dishes out a Southern Inspired Reuben version with po boy bread, jazzed up saurkraut, vidalia onion dressing and a fried green tomater. Sounds awesome, right?

Anyways, so for Rutgers I opted for roastbeef cheesesteaks because we can deconstruct the parts easily and serve in chaffing dishes. Have some hollowed out po boy loafs that the Hullabaloo Huddlers can just grab buffet-style and assemble themselves a proper Cheesesteak.

 
I mean really Cheesesteak sandwiches are just basically a twist on New Orleans roast beef po-boys, but just adding a provolone bechamel and some carmelized green peppers, onions and mushrooms for garnish.

So I am very excited about this Hot Rueben Dip that is basically fool-proof in preparation, dontcha think?

Anyways, too good not to share the recipes for, so I hope you enjoy these tailgate recipe ideas!

BOBBY FLAY'S PROVOLONE SAUCE (for the cheesesteaks)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk, heated
1 cup grated aged provolone cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Start by making a blonde roux: melt ya butter in a sauce pan, whisk in the flour and stir, stir, stir for 1 minute until you have a cream consistency. Slowly whisk in the warm milk (see, now you're making a bechamel!) and simmer, whisking constantly until thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the bechamel mixture from the heat and whisk in the provolone and Parmesan until combined; season with the salt and pepper.

BOOTY'S DRUNKEN BERRIES

Blackberries, Blueberries and Raspberries
Splash of Chambord and Vodka
Whipping Cream
Kahlua
Marascino Cherries

Put your berries in a bowl  (I know, don't be discouraged! Bowl entry can be an uphill task for Greenie Dats). Add a generous splash of Chambord over the berries and a sprinkle of vodka. Let your berries marinate for a few hours in the fridge.  Meanwhile take your whipping cream, add a splash of kahlua, and whip the cream up until frothed, keep the cream fridged up til serving. Add a scoop of drunken berries, top with some whipped cream, drizzle some berry juice over the whipped cream. Top with a maraschino cherry as garnish.

HASHBROWN CASSEROLE

1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup butter, melted
salt and pepper
1/2 cup minced onions
2 cups shredded colby cheese
2 lbs frozen pre-made hash browns, thawed
pinches of nutmeg for good measure! (I love me some nutmeg in these types of recipes)

Preheat your oven to 350. Mix together the soup, butter, salt, pepper, onions. Fold the thawed taters with this high fat goodness in a foil baking pan.  Maybe add a dash of tabasco across the top (this is Louisiana afterall).  Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.

Okay, who's ready for tailgating!?

No comments:

Post a Comment